Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Summer Zipper Quilt Top

I finished this quilt top a month ago, and thanks to the passing-around of a nasty sinus infection in the Blue House it has sat untouched. But, I love this quilt.
This is my happy Summer Zipper Quilt.


I used the lap quilt pattern from the wonderful Modern Quilt Workshop. I'm sure everyone has heard of this book (and if you haven't go buy it now!) and have probably seen variations of the popular zipper pattern. I wanted a fun, bright summer quilt instead of the calm blues and greens of the cover quilt, and I absolutely love how the top turned out. I used mostly yellows, with some oranges and pinks thrown in.


I am working on putting the back together now, which is going to be equally bright. I will definitely plan on taking pics in sunlight to better capture the colors, but unfortunately most of my craft time is limited to baby bedtime! I have been practicing my free motion quilting and and am excited to try it out on this quilt. I'm hoping that the bright colors and somewhat busy pattern will distract from any inevitable screwball quilting. :)

I highly recommend this pattern. The cutting is all rectangles and is relatively quick, and as a bonus it uses nearly all of the fabric requirements, which is nice if you're on a budget. Be warned though, all those zipper "teeth" can be a bit of a pain to keep organized. I used a super-technical Post-It methodology...hey, it works!





No comments:

Post a Comment